Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Essentialism

I have never thought of myself as an existentialist, but often I have been asked if I am. I think I may be part existentialist and part "essentialist."--Sort of the way I am a Hindu/Buddhist/Christian/Pagan. The most common definition of existentialism is: a philosophical theory or approach that emphasizes the existence of the individual person as a free and responsible agent determine their own development through acts of the will. 
 I agree with the first part of the statement but not the part about determining our own development through the act of the will. It is my conviction all happens through God's Will. I also don't believe we create our own reality. We may create our own heaven or hell, but not our reality. Reality is a given we have no control over. 

Another aspect of existentialism I agree with is the concept of the here and now and living life as if there is no tomorrow. However, I am not convinced that life as we experience it is all that there is. What is beyond the physical/mental/emotional world of experience is the essence of who we are, the background of everything.  It is called the Void, Nothingness, Truth, Pure Awareness--that which is indescribable--that which is everything and nothing at that the same time.

I am presently enjoying a book, The Five Things We Cannot Change, written by David Richo, a western psychotherapist with a Buddhist perspective.  I read this passage over and over again today, as I found it a beautiful expression and profound articulation of a subtle awareness.

"Existential reality is conditioned by it's moment and our mood; thus what we experience conditionally. Essential reality is the ground, unconditioned. Existential realty faces us right now.The essential reality is not visible until we shift into it. The challenge is to stay steadfastly with the here and now existential reality, however unsavory, while the essential Truth--always comforting--hovers in the wings awaiting the audience that will happen in it's own time."

We cannot control what happens to us in life.  We cannot protect ourselves from being hurt. We cannot escape the darkness anymore than we can escape the light. One thing we can trust for sure is that everything eventually changes. We cannot be miserable forever, anymore than we can be happy forever. The challenge in life is to embrace it, all of it. It is our resistance to the experiences and events that happen in our lives that create hell. We cannot avoid suffering, but there is freedom even in suffering when we know our essence is never affected and always there shining, ever radiant, ever pure. We must reach beyond heaven and hell, reach beyond our thoughts and experiences to rest in Truth.

Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhi Svaha
Going, going, going on beyond. Always going on beyond. Always becoming Buddha.



No comments:

Post a Comment