Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Today on Facebook one of my friends, Laura, asked about the closing of City Yoga. Below was my response. I just felt like saying it out loud.

"Thanks for asking, Laura. First, let me state that I am speaking on my own and my views are just that. I am not speaking for Angela or City Yoga, but I am taking advantage of this opportunity to say something publicly that I've been keeping to myself for quite some time. The business of Yoga is difficult and almost oxymoronic. Most teachers of Yoga, like Angela, become teachers and open studios because of a deep inner calling to share the wisdom. In this country to have a space to teach cost money. If a teacher is teaching that means he/she's not available to work doing anything else during that time. Time is also money. So, what to do? Right off the bat, it takes money and time to teach a yoga class. Sounds simple that if students appreciate the teaching they will support the teacher(s) and the studio where they gather to practice. Sounds like it would work. When Angela decided to go with a donation based studio, at first I thought, "uh-oh, I hope you can get your bills paid, honey." It has been my experience in St. Augustine that when a love offering is asked for, people don't feel much love. My second, third and fourth thoughts were of hope, inspiration and encouragement. I thought maybe people were ready for a deeper experience of Yoga... that maybe that sense of connection and unification would happen instead of just going to an exercise class. In India there's an incredible amount of support for teachers, centers, ashrams and just about any true spiritual seeking. It's not just lip service. People put their money where their mouth is and monetarily support spirituality... even if its a rich Swami sitting under a 24K gold umbrella or Swami under a tree carrying everything he owns on his back, a prophesying schizophrenic on the street corner or the yoga teacher that lives next door. I still have faith that the deeper teachings of Yoga will penetrate our very thick culture, but it is taking some time. It took guts to do what Angela did, and I am proud of her for doing so. Like most of us, Angela has to make a living. She has a family and responsibilities like everyone else. If we, as a community of yoga students and teachers, would have supported her a little more then maybe City Yoga would not be closing. Angela is taking work that she really enjoys and brings her money instead of costing her money. Of course, who wouldn't? I think she opened the doors for a new way of approaching the "business" of yoga here in St. Augustine, and great good will come it. When I see the restaurants full with yoga students every weekend that cry how much they miss Yoga but cannot afford it anymore, I know why the studios are struggling. So, if you love your yoga class, support it. It can't continue without its students. The only thing one may loose going to Yoga class is some mind chatter and a few extra pounds." Hari Om Tat Sat.

No comments:

Post a Comment